Youth Work Support Volunteer – Centre Based
The bedrock of our Youth Work is the amazing team of volunteers who give up their time to support the work we do with children and young people. Are you on of those special individuals?
Without these amazing people we would not be able to deliver the range of services we do for Children and Young People in the Melksham community area. We are looking for people who are able to to help with any of the following:
- Tuesday Club - This new club is aimed at young people in Years 5 and 6 at primary school (9-11 years old). This is a new venture and we are particularly keen to find people experienced at working with this age group. Tuesday Club runs from 6pm to 8pm and we would ask volunteers to be present from 5.45pm to 8.15pm.
- Wednesday Club - A club just for those who have recently started secondary school (Years 7 and 8, ages 11 - 13). The Wednesday Club is open from 6.30pm to 9pm and we ask volunteers to be present from 6.15pm to 9.15pm.
- Thursday Club - Aim at 'older' young people this group is for years 9, 10 and 11 (aged 13+). Running every Thursday from 6.30pm to 9pm we ask volunters to be present from 6.15pm to 9.15pm.
- Friday Club - At the end of the week everyone likes to let their hair down and this club, for all secondary school aged young people, runs from 7pm to 9.30pm. Volunteers are asked to be present from 6.45pm to 9.45pm.
- Support, motivate, assist and advise young people in their personal and social development.
- Establish and maintain positive, supportive relationships with young people.
- Support young people within a group work setting to deliver planned activities and achieve positive outcomes.
- Maintain the principles of confidentiality as stated within the policy guidelines.
- Engage with planning and evaluation of sessions.
- Keep staff informed of any relevant issues affecting a young person’s well-being.
- Participate in induction training and ongoing personal development as identified.
- Participate in individual supervision and team meetings.
- Work within Young Melksham’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
- Work according to Health and Safety Regulations.
Youth work aims to engage young people in shaping and participating in diverse, inclusive and developmental activities. Volunteer roles are therefore varied and range from:
- Supporting young people to run projects such as Coffee Bar/Tuck Shop
- Community Development
- Substance Misuse work
- No Worries (Sexual Health)
- Work with young people with additional needs
Volunteers are asked to make a minimum commitment of 3hr per week to supporting Youth Work sessions. Opportunities are available on an ongoing basis and/or during peak periods (for example school holidays). Successful applicants will have the opportunity to discuss their availability with the Young Melksham Manager.
Young Melksham is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of Children and Young People and all staff working with these groups are expected to share a commitment to this. You will be expected to report any concerns relating to the safeguarding of children and/or young people in accordance with agreed procedures. Please note we will need to complete an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check for all successful applicants and there is an expectation that you will complete a foundation level Child Protection course and an in-house Introduction to Youth Work course.
If you would like to join the Young Melksham team then please complete the application form below - and thank you!